Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Photos of IBM Global Logistics in Italy circa 1951-1960

I recently came across the following photos that illustrate how IBM shipped its mainframes to clients in various parts of Italy between 1951-1960.

Photo #1
: Obviously, this was shot in Venice, Italy. I'm not sure what type of mainframes are in the two crates (I am guessing an IBM 650), which weighed nearly 2,000 pounds and rented for $3200 per month. Just a little risky putting two of them on a wooden gòndola, don't ya think? I would have loved to see how they loaded them on and how they planned to take them off.

Photo #2: Again, not sure what is in the crate or where in Italy this was shot. But I appreciate the fact that its being delivered on a wheelbarrow. I wonder how many wheelbarrow's FedEx, UPS and DHL have in their fleet. You can't make it out in this resolution, but in the middle of the crate it reads "Do not drop." Classic.

Photo #3: This would make a great poster illustrating really bad supply chain security. The IBM 7070 was a data processing system that hit the market in 1960 and it cost back then $813,000. So you gotta love the fact that IBM is not only advertising what is inside the trucks, but also where they are going "Banco di Napoli." To their credit, there probably were only a few dozen people in Italy in the 1960s who actually knew what to do with that 7070, but still not something we would ever promote in this day and age. Though, if would be great to live in a world where we could. The logistics carrier is a company called Barghi or Borghi, I can't really tell from the logo, but both come up empty in Google and Yahoo.

2 comments:

Christopher Sciacca said...

Thanks to one of my colleagues I've gotten the scoop on Boeghi. About 7 years ago they were acquired by Geodis and now, recently sold to Bartolini. At that time Borghi was the maximum expert specialized in Vatican/Pope products transports and IBM products.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
how a wonderful pics have you posted! They belong to our historical archive and we also recently used them to celebrate IBM Italy' 80th. I could be able to give you more information and also more photopraphs, if you like them.
I'm homesick every time I look at them, simply because they speak about a country, oh my poor Italy, which no longer exists...