Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Visiting the Port of Seattle on my vacation


I know, I know. But I just couldn't help visiting one of the busiest ports in the US while I had the chance and it sure was worth it. To give you some basic facts, in 2004, the Port of Seattle was responsible for receiving 16 million metric tons of goods shipped by more than 1000 vessels. Not too shabby for a Port that has been around since 1911. A large portion of the 16 million is comprised of fresh seafood and who can't appreciate fresh seafood? In fact, a significant portion of the seafood that is consumed west of Chicago, Ill is from the Port of Seattle. The photo included with this post was shot by yours truly at Pikes Seafood Market a few piers down from the Port. I was happy to see security was very tight and they even offer free Wi-Fi. This is particularly important for the cruise liners and private boats that dock at the port or nearby. So the next time you are in Seattle, Baltimore or Jacksonville, be sure to check out the Ports. I think you will be pleasantly surprised to witness first hand everything that takes place to get you fresh crab legs from Alaska to your local restaurant.

No comments: